The main safeguards required by the Policy for the Protection of Children are:
- the screening of employees and volunteers
- the training of employees, volunteers, parents and youth with regard to safe-environment practices and awareness of signs of child abuse
- the reporting of suspected child abuse in compliance with the Child Protective Services Law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
These safeguards are intended to assist employees and volunteers in their responsibility to provide children with the greatest care. The Diocese of Erie is committed to the application of these safeguards, including full compliance with state regulations.
All employees and volunteers commit themselves to following the Code of Conduct that can be found in the Policy.
Annual safe environment training:
All parishes and schools are mandated by the Bishops of the United States to provide Safe Environment Training to all youth and parents annually. All youth in the Religious Education Program will receive this training sometime during the catechetical year. If you do not want your child/children to participate in the safe environment training, please contact the Religious Education office in writing.
- Parish resources (Parishes, add your parent handbooks or links here.)
- Diocese of Erie Child Protection Policy
- Download the Frequently Asked Questions about the Child Abuse Policy brochure
- Diocese of Erie Child Protection website
- Code of Conduct
Any person may make a report of child abuse if they suspect a child is being or was abused.
- To report suspected child abuse by phone, contact CHILDLINE at 1-800-932-0313. The line is open 24/7 and callers may choose to remain anonymous.
- Download the Frequently Asked Questions about Child Abuse brochure
Reporting procedures for Mandated reporters employed or volunteering in any parish, school, agency or institution in the Diocese of Erie